Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Surviving Spring Break

How on Earth did I stay at home with this child for 3 years? I used to be with her 24/7. For THREE years. Now she is only home all the time from Friday to Sunday, but by Sunday night I am usually wishing I were the drinking type.


Spring Break started Friday. I have no working vehicle, and Jack works all week. So I am stuck at home with her. Thank GOODNESS for Vix and Steph living across the street with their kids, or I would be in a straight jacket.


Today my Dad dropped by and told me he was going to come get Alex Thursday and keep her for a couple of days. I immediately cursed the fact it was only Tuesday.


I love my kids, do not get me wrong, but my personality is so unequipped to handle the constant yapping and zooming around ball of energy my youngest has turned into over the last year for a solid week. The thought of Summer Vacation makes me break out in a cold sweat!


She has spent a good portion of time across the street, but right now I have her and one of Steph's kids here now. Today they are being good, but I have them on lock down on the couch watching movies. ( It is really hot right now and Steven has this bad habit of traipsing all over my garden plants. )


Speaking of garden plants, my squash, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes are all about 2 to 4 inches high, and my basil, rosemary and garden sage is about an inch tall! We did a lot of amending to the soil this year, and started seedlings in my mini greenhouse, and things are going much better than they did last year. Jack planted speckled butter beans, corn, bell peppers, onions, and scallions, along with carrots and a couple of other things I can not remember off the top of my head. I think he has some Lima Beans out there as well.


All in all I am very happy so far this year with the crops we are growing. 


Things are pretty much back to normal here. The days are warm ( okay hot ) and the birds and butterflies are out in force...the downside to that is so are the ticks and biting flies and other evil winged creatures of doom, like the wasps and bumblebees. I SWEAR I read somewhere that bumblebees were going extinct. They are not extinct, they are all here in my yard! But even with the critters around I am so happy to see the backside of Winter! The days of longing for Fall and Winter are over. The last two years of abnormally brutal temps for an unusually long time have cured me of my love for Winter. I must be getting old lol.


Jack has been working in the yard for the last few weekends, but the leaves are still falling like rain, so there is a lot more raking to come. I might even get out there myself and rake some. Yes, me, outside, in the sun. Write it on your calendars, take a picture, whatever you have to do to get over the shock of disbelief. 


*Chuckles*


I started going through the closets and pulling the winter gear out and stashing it in Alex's closet, and dragging the summer stuff out. Alex has grown so much since last summer she needs a whole new wardrobe, which I get to start buying this weekend. 


Other than that, it is business as usual here at home. However, if you come over and Alex is duct taped to the wall in her room, just pretend not to notice. 

2 comments:

Lilac SilverFox said...

That was such a fun post to read. I have no kids myself yet, but I can understand how it can be maddening once they're able to be full mobile and run around like balls of energy....I think I'd keep a whole box of duct tape on hand *giggles*

Oh, I am so envious of the garden talk! We're still cold and with snow and that nastiness here...I am hoping to gather some supplies to start some indoor potting soon though and just hope all my green thumbing brings about Spring :D

Tea Witch said...

Nice to see you posting again. You've been missed. My daughter is currently visiting me for her Spring Break and I'm ready to eat her. Granted...if I were to leave her in front of the computer and/or TV all day we'd be set. But....I hear that's not very good for them or something like that. LOL.

I so wish I had a backyard to plant stuff....*sigh*. Someday.

Funny note...my word verification is "mogicks"...lol. I found it funny...but I'm all drugged right now.

ShareThis