Friday, April 16, 2010

More House Renovations: The Kitchen

Where oh where have I been? I have been a busy little witch over the last couple of weeks, spending a lot of time at my parents house and then when I got home, working on stuff around the house. I have a handful of blogs planned, but I wanted to start with this one because I am just so damn happy about it!

I love to cook. I really do. I also love to bake, however baking sweets ( cakes, cookies, pies, etc. ) is beyond me. I never seem to be able to have it turn out the way I want. It is so frustrating at times because I love to do it SO much. The problem is, the kitchen I have is very small, poorly built in the way of very little counter space, and the biggest counter surface is stuck in a corner behind the stove so you can not use it, other than to store stuff on. So while yes, I love to cook, my kitchen leaves me pretty uninspired to do so. It looked bad, the cabinets were wood grain and nasty looking, the bottom counters and the three drawers built beside the stove are broken and only the top one is somewhat usable ( It holds the can openers and the cookie cutters, thats about it..) I still have done nothing with the drawers or under the sink cabinets, as those will require some repair work ( our landlord is useless, we do it all ourselves ) but I did tackle the biggest eyesore in the kitchen, which was the icky wall behind the stove and the upper cabinets, which I use daily.

I have planned this since we painted the living room, as my kitchen and living room are all one big room, separated by a bar, so the color scheme was to be carried over into the kitchen as well so it would look uniform. As always, after Alex and Jack were in bed the other night, at 11 PM I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to tackle it. It was not as easy as I thought, as the cabinets took a LOT of coats to cover, and I finally finished around 4 AM. However I am over the moon thrilled with the results, and I love being in there now, and I will turn around in my chair here at the computer and just stare at the cabinets from time to time, I admit it lol.

I almost forgot to take pictures, and I had half of the back wall painted before I remembered to do so lol. So here we go with the picture show! It may not look like much, but compared to what it was before, it is 100 times better!

I will describe each pic under the pic itself....


This is the kitchen before. Note how cramped and cluttered it is, and how gross those cabinets are! If you look to the right of the stove, you can see the biggest part of the counter is stuffed in the corner, virtually unusable. I had painted half the back wall before I thought to grab the camera lol.



Here is the kitchen with the back wall painted with the first coat, and I moved the behemoth microwave out of the kitchen and it now lives on my dryer, usable, but out of the way so I get that prime piece of counter space back on the left... 



Here is the pic with the cabinets painted with a few coats..that blue thing on top of the cabinets is a first aid kit lol...I also painted the range hood which was a rusted looking used to be cream colored nightmare. I painted the top half tan and the bottom part white, to contrast with the white and tan cabinets...



Here are the finished cabinets, and my little wood kitchen mortar back in place on the back of the stove...



Here is the final shot of the new paint, with no flash..that black spot in the middle of the cabinets is a metal heart that Jack made me one day while he was bored at work, a piece of thick round metal bent into the shape of a heart and hung on a nail...normally a metal tea ball which was a gift from my best friend hangs there too, but it needed a good washing before I put it back up...


And there you have it. I still have the big wall to my right to do, but I need Jack for that as the pantry cabinets and spice racks are bolted to the wall and I need his help to move them, but I will take pics when I do that too!

As I said, it may not look like much, but if you look at the before and after pics, there is a huge difference. I love to cook in there now, and last night, again on a whim, I made my first ever cherry dump cake....from scratch, no store bought cake mix, and it came out PERFECTLY! I finally baked something sweet that you could actually eat! I take that as a sign that the kitchen spirits are pleased with my changes lol. It has inspired me SO much, that even though Friday's are my " Bella refuses to cook, so we have take out" day, I VOLUNTARILY asked Jack to stop by the store and get the fixings for me to make homemade tacos tonight. YUM!

I have some pics of the bathroom, but I intend to finish it this weekend, I still have to paint the sink cabinet and the door, so I will save that post for when it is done. Wicked will have a few things to say this weekend as well, so look for that over on The Wicked Witch of the South...and I have more blogs to post here this weekend as well, if not on Monday which I have dubbed " Blog Day"

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous and the energy change in the kitchen shows up loud and clear even on pics.

Wow!

I wouldn't have been very inspired in there either. Now you can embrace the kitchen witch in you and have fun making all kinds of goodies.

You did an awesome job!

Love you xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a huge difference a gallon of paint and some re-arranging can do. I bet you're gonna love cooking and baking in there now.

Props to you for starting that project at Midnight....I was drooling on my pillow.

Coach Z said...

Wow... it looks terrific. Lots of hard work but definitely an energy shift to the positive!! You should be very proud. AWESOME.

ShareThis