Saturday, March 10, 2012

Jack finally had his surgery...

Sorry for the brief lull in posting again folks, I had been doing so well! Jack finally had his surgery Thursday, and the few days before that were spent getting things ready. Alex spent Wednesday and Thursday night with my Mom, so that was a load off my mind. Thursday morning found us up very early so I could shower and let the water heat back up before HIS shower, since I had to wash his back the night before and the morning of his surgery with some kind of antibacterial soap. It looked like the sponges the doctors use to scrub before surgery to me. It probably was. Anyway, we get to the hospital at nine that morning, and they take us back after fifteen minutes or so. I got to stay in the back with him as they prepped him, right up until they took him to the operating room.

I had my tablet with me, so I sat out in the waiting room and talked to Perth and messed around on Facebook and waited.  There is a big screen TV on the waiting room wall that tells you what stage of surgery the patient is in, and he was only in surgery for a little over an hour. I was happy and prepared myself to go back and see him once he was in post recovery. So I waited...and waited.....and waited some more. Two hours go by and there was no change on the screen, it still showed him in recovery. I waited some more. Three and a half hours go by and I finally call back there and try to find out what was going on. Turns out they were having issues managing his pain and he was having issues coming out from being put under. I was unhappy that no one could have came out and told me that, and told the nurse so, in a nice way. She assured me he was okay and they would be out to get me soon. About 30 minutes went by and I finally got to go see him in post recovery. He was very groggy and in a lot of pain. We were back there for about an hour an a half before they got it under control, and after making sure he could feel and use his legs and go to the bathroom, they turned us loose.

After picking up his pain meds we went home and he slept most of the evening. When he woke up yesterday, he was in agony. Which was to be expected, as much at that sucks. It is always worse the first few days after, but since he has never had surgery, he had no clue, and I felt so bad for him. He stayed in bed most of the day but he is not sleeping much, he hurts to much. Today the short temper and massive irritation at everything started. Also to be expected, and I understand since I have been through it myself a few times. I can take it, but he got on to Alex earlier for no reason and I had to jump in and back him up, trying to explain that I can roll with it, I understand what it happening, but our seven year old very sensitive daughter does not. So he apologized to her and he is going to try to sleep soon. It has been a tough couple of days and I hope that over the next couple he starts to feel at least a little better.

So that is what is going on, and where I have been, and what I will be dealing with for the next few weeks. I will try to post more as things become a bit more manageable with him.

Have a great weekend, what is left of it lol. Later!

1 comment:

Iesadora said...

Ugh the poor thing!!!!! It's one thing to be in pain, cranky, and miserable but he must have felt horrible about laying into your daughter when he realized what he was doing. Can you daughter stay at a friends house for a couple of days? Gentle hugs to both of you!! I hope the worst passes quickly and he can get some good restful sleep!

ShareThis